Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Enduring Images...

...from our Nicaragua Compassion Trip, 2010

streaks of color under the tables

As we cleaned the Learning Center at the end of the first day, we flipped one row of tables over onto the other, revealing dozens of colorful streaks of paint underneath. Though we had provided napkins, it seems the kids found a better way to wipe the paint off their fingers.

blue fingernails

Even now, several days after finishing our paining project, I have Avatar-colored fingernails.

running with rectangles under their shirts

On the last day in San Juan the kids collected their personal portraits which had been inserted into the frames they had made. But it rained that day…hard. From where I sat, with several kids, against a wall of a house, I had the perfect vantage point: every few minutes a small group of kids would dart out of the center and run all the way to their homes clutching their picture frames under their shirts.

[I asked one boy as he ran past me, “Will you give that to your mom?” “No!” he hollered over his shoulder, “To my grandma. I love her more!”]

big sister

We met a 9-year-old girl who never played with the other kids or participated in the art camp. The reason, it seems, is that she always had her 1-year-old brother on her hip. He had a huge open wound on his dirty, bare foot. It was scabby and infected. We learned that the story included neglectful parents who repeatedly refused offers for help. As one of our team members did her best to clean the cut, and I prayed for the girl and her brother, my mind’s eye saw two nine-year-olds, both holding their baby brothers: one would return to her California home, a loving family, a strong church community, and unlimited opportunity. The other? What does life hold for her? God have mercy.

- Nathan

1 comment:

Cyn said...

That's what it's all about though right. Opening one's eyes and doing what can be done to open others' and spread love. I can only imagine the impact you all have made in their lives (and they in yours).