Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Is it only Tuesday?





While we are loving our time serving down here in Nicaragua, we do feel surprised that it is only Tuesday. We have already had such full and busy days, that we look at one another in the evenings and remind ourselves we are still at the beginning of the week.

Today was another full day. We started the day with a great time of sharing, reflection, and prayer. Everyday our team seems to draw closer and this morning´s time together only deepened it. We followed the morning with another session of pottery...this time was the wheel. I am glad that I seem to be able to create laughter for the potter´s family. Jackie and Karen made bowls on the wheel on the first try. After, three attempts, a giant pile of clay, and lots of hands on help, I did produce what I like to call a bowl. Once again I enjoyed the visit, but am so glad my time on the wheel is over.


Either attempt number 1 or 2....not pretty








Jackie´s beautiful bowl














Our day at La Vida was much more productive than my time on the wheel. We jumped from 130 kids to 200. We barely had time to think, but Julie did an amazing job leading them in making felt molas. I believe at one point Karen was in the back yard feverishly cutting up felt in order to meet the demands of the ever expanding numbers of kids. The best part of it was the way our team pulled together and the way each member simply loved the kids. Dawn says she really enjoyed seeing the joy the kids experienced getting to work with felt and feathers. It was evident that art supplies like these are not common to these children.
I am also amazed how this team continues to make the best out of each situation. We have been hit by rain storms and I mean downpours that make me think each time that we are surely going to be washed away this time. It hits the tin roofs with such force that we can not even hear one another. After art camp today, some of the team was caught in the center. Jeff decided since they were stuck there it might be a good idea to get some painting done. So Mark, Jeff, Nate, and Sienna painted the interior doors and windows ¨sea green¨. It was oil based paint, so their hands matched the paint for quite a while after as well.

A quote from our boss, a.k.a. Jeff, ¨Thanks for your prayers and support. The kids are great. The food is great. God is great.¨
We love you all...now off to a late night game of competitive cards.

Angela




2 comments:

Jan Macpherson said...

How beautiful their art is. 200 kids, amazing. I'll pray that the supplies will multiply so there is plenty...
Angela and Jackie, I'd buy your pottery!
Miss you guys.

Cyn said...

The kids look like they loved it, what beautiful, happy faces! May you all continue to maintain your enthusiasm and energy levels and thank you for chronicling the experience so thoroughly!