Thursday, July 15, 2010

LATE Thursday Night



Some of the many crafts of this week

Dawn and I sat for hours in an internet cafe tonight trying to blog and post pictures, but nothing seemed to work. I can now only get a few small ones up. We did have a lot of visitors from our art classes come by the internet cafe during that time. They try to see us any chance they get. It is hard not to feel loved in San Juan de Oriente. It is good, because on a personal note, as a mom I have certainly had my share of homesickness here. In the past, we have had phones to use in the internet cafe, but they are now gone. So by Wednesday morning I was pretty desperate to hear the voices of my family, especially my youngest, who does not email yet. Mark was gracious enough to take a 25 minute taxi ride with me to Masaya so I could make a call, hear their voices, know that all is okay and be able to go on with my week and maybe even sleep that night.

SLEEP...now that is an interesting topic around here. Most of us live in the village in the homes of residents of SJO. Jackie and I seem to sleep pretty well, but I think we might be the only ones. In the course of any given night, there have been cats fighting on our thin tin roof, LOTS of dogs barking in the streets, fireworks, roosters crowing at any given hour and then a multitude of other noises. Our amazing leader Jeff looked like the lack of sleep was starting to take its toll on him especially this evening, so we are looking forward to tomorrow night´s stay at the hotel in Granada, not to mention HOT SHOWERS!

Yet, while we are excited about some rest and relaxation, I am already sad to say goodby once again to this sweet community. Tonight several of us spent time playing music and really just laughing and sharing with one of the families. The time we spend just being with these families is the sweetest part of the trip for me.

Please pray for us especially tomorrow. We want to finish this week strong and we have a lot of projects to wrap up, packing to do, and goodbyes to say.

Now for today´s photo of the day, which honestly would have been even funnier than Julie and the goat if Nate had sacrificed his backside the way Julie did. Nate has been playing ball in the street with the kids who are waiting for their art class. Today he was out there throwing the frisbee and down the street come some long horn cattle and make a turn right where Nate was. While Mark decided to throw out a warning...just in time...I was there again snapping some pictures. Nate said it was scarier than the pictures make it look. Anyway, that is it for night. Besides, I told Nate I would not make any ties between bulls and pastors.

Angela





Sienna said one of her goals was to make friends and tonight she was teaching some the kids a few games.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Once again your insights have left me speechless and a tad emotional. Not sure what it was about this entry that has me in tears, but I'll trust that it's a good thing.

I love the picture of Sienna!

Cyn said...

Oh, and those frames turned out incredible! I love the bright colors that were chosen and those faces! Nice job!