Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Morning



Today we visited the home of a local artist and his family. This is something I have done each time I visit Nicaragua. The artists take time to teach us about the process of making pottery and allow for some hands on experience. While most people love the chance to make pottery, I am not one of them. I am not artistic and my creations are usually nothing wonderful to look at, but I still love going to these homes. It is the small gestures that I experienced today that make me remember just why I love the people down here so much. As we entered the small dwelling, a sweet three year old girl approached us with her hands pressed tightly together and extended them to me. I placed my hands on her small ones and squeezed them tightly. In Nicaragua, this is the way the children present themselves to you asking for a blessing. The gesture is always so sweet. I feel honored to be a part of it. This was the first time we met this family and they shared about their lives and even some recent losses. They took a lot of time to simply have a conversation with us. They were eager to hear about our lives as well. Their graciousness showed in the big and small ways during this time together. So while I do not look forward to what I create in our pottery time, I do love the chance to get to know these people and share a little of our lives together.
Angela

3 comments:

Jan Macpherson said...

Beautiful and so very special. Thanks for sharing with such detail. I'm anxious to hear about day one in Art Camp. Praying for you all.

Cyn said...

The little details make me feel as though I'm there. What a wonderful gift. I can scarcely imagine what this experience must be like for both sides!

Cindy P said...

Great job Angela...thanks for sharing. Send our love to the team...we are praying for you!
Cindy